Thursday, May 20, 2010

Two Weeks In

Have just completed one session of therapy. Am currently undergoing my 2nd treatment this weekend. The condo is stocked with green veggies, fruits, soups, and the fruit juice sweetened cookie in case of cravings. The new juicer is amazing - throw anything in that is green, with a half and apple, and you have a yummy tasting green juice shake. Diet, herbs, positively Alkaline foods, acupuncture, meditation twice a day. More treks to the beach to watch the birds. Ahh the birds, what is it about them that is soo magical? I had two chirping outside my window like crazy the other night at midnight. It seemed like they wanted to say something to me, so I opened my window and listened. I think they said I was going to Live a long life, hahah. The last few years as many of you know has been spent in a constant 24-hour a day stress race to close the deal, pay for the condo, car, dinner, make the next meeting, build the dream, without any care of self or what it was doing was doing to me. What I was doing was essentially destroying my body's natural ability to fight off what many of us have in our body's but are able to fight off without even knowing. Luckily, the front 1/4 of my life was spent reading self help book, studying health, taking herbs, eating well, working out, and gaining the knowledge on how to live a healthy, stress free life. Unfortunately, during the last two plus years, I threw the knowledge away, and instead engaged in one of the most unhealthy lifestyles imaginable for my body and soul (the details of which I will be releasing in my book, *wink wink*). I kept wondering when it was going to stop? At what point was I going to get off the roller coaster and live healthier. I looked good, I was a great actor, but when was it going to stop? Whe the film deal closed? When the Oscars came around? What if they never came, was I going to go until something like this happened to me or worse? The answer, at that time, until about a half a year ago, was "yes." I truly didn't care, as my motto was "do this until the body shuts down or dies." But within the last year, I started to slowly change that around. Little did I know what I had inside of me, or maybe somehow, I did. About a month ago I started to have strange thoughts of a catastrophic event hitting me. I couldn't help but tell everyone around me that I didn't know what, but that something was coming. I was organizing my drawers, writing down wish lists, and being extremely careful while driving. I had no idea that what I was picking up on was something of a much different kind. Something foreign to me, my family, and anything I or we could ever imagined. I mean, even in my worst stages I still had a salad once a week, the gym here and there, and organic produce when possible. Surely that would be enough even with all else, right? You may have heard the expression "what a difference a day makes." I can tell you that expression for the first time had true meaning in my life. The day I found out what I had, now THAT is "the difference a day makes." But differences can be made every day I realize without life changing circumstances. From the day I found out on, I had, on a dime, radically changed my life in every way. One day! that's all it took for me to cold turkey cut off everything that I didn't want anymore. This means anyone can do it, it's possible, and it doesn't have to be bad news that makes it happen. You want something, or want to stop something, you do it. If nothing else thus far, this has shown me how quickly old habits die, addictions (never believed in them) can be started or stopped on a dime, flip of the mental switch. What an amazing mechanisms of change, positive or otherwise, we can be for ourselves. I am still amazed by the mind, the body, and the souls ability to do what is necessary to stay alive, and also to be awake while alive! At this point, my full life focus, my intensity which was once focused on achievement of goals and ego based pleasure, is now turned to health, vitality, family, love and all of the things I once turned a blind eye to. How wonderful and fortunate am I that I even get this chance to re-learn what is important, to care about self, and to truly be able to engage in a disciplined life based on principals of health, love, family, and a calm, focused work experience. Yes, it is going to be painful and already is. Yes, life is not the same and never will be yet I truly can't wait for what it brings next. In this case that's a bowl of magical soup and a movie on PPV. In many ways I wish all of you had this opportunity, yet, i am so happy to share the value i am getting out of this experience so that you don't have to go through this, but can instead look to me, and continue to make those good choices in your life that will extend and provide meaning. When you have passion, not just for what you do, but for who you are and what you have, you are a winner. One day, one month, 50 years, whatever it is, go watch some birds & LIVE WELL!

9 comments:

  1. You are in my heart every minute and I am with you always on this journey and I know (in the way that mother's know, that you will heal, survive, grow, learn and continue to amaze us all with your courage, strength & will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Scott,
    What a force you have become in your "old age". You not only have the power to assist your own healing but you are spreading the word with your inspired writing. I am already passing on your blog to a few people who I love.
    Jill G. ( mom's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fight on brave warrior, you are an inspiration. Beautiful writing, you can beat this!
    Love, Tema & Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such compassion and wisdom. I'm very proud of you, Scott. I think I speak for all.
    --Uncle Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your spirit, strength, and faith! It takes a special man to find the good points in a low time. Congratulations in your success! In the dark times, remember how much you are loved and valued and being held close in so many of our hearts! I am sure your healing efforts, in so many forms, will get you where you need to be! Don't forget my home is always open to you for some lake, river, mountain recuperating!
    Love, Aunt Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Scott,
    Words do not come easily to express the profound pride I am feeling for you. The truth, wisdom and courage that you are expressing and now living is a lesson for me. I am taking the liberty of passing along your blog to other very special people in my life.

    Love, Ev

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your wonderful and encouraging words. Nothing but gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scott:
    Thank you for writing about your experience. My thoughts and best wishes are with you of course. What a difficult journey. Keep watching those birds!!!
    Love Aunt Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Scott, Thank you for your honest and heartfelt words. You are changing my life. Each day when I wake up I send out loving thoughts to all those who are important in my life. Please know that as the sun rises and we are all granted another day, my love and good vibrations wing their way to you. Keep writing, keep positive, and keep listening to the wisdom of the birds. Lisa Kantor

    ReplyDelete